Our Newman family fosters critical thinking, creativity and a passion for life-long learning.
The John Lenox Newman family came from Tennessee and settled in what is now Frisco in 1841, when Texas was still an Independent Republic. There were six children born here. The three girls married local boys from the White, St. John and Robertson families. The oldest and only surviving son, Nathan Alexander Newman, married Martha Frances Cox and they had one son, James Reeder Newman. Nathan died when Jim was a baby and upon the grandfather’s death, Jim and his mom inherited the farm. They purchased an additional tract of land and paid for it with produces from the farm. At 16, Jim went to Waco to further his education at Toby’s Business College where he taught penmanship. There he met his wife Lula Neal and they married and came back to the family farm at the ages of 19 and 20. Members of the Newman and Robertson families helped contribute to the creation of the Robertson School which was located near Sparks Elementary. Several of the six J.R. Newman children attended this school and many teachers boarded in their home from time to time. Additionally when children couldn’t make it home after a sudden rain storm or snow storm, they stayed over at the Newman home. The James R. Newman family later purchased a 100 acre farm just outside of the newly incorporated town of Frisco and built the first brick home in Frisco, located on the southwest corner of Hickory and 5th streets. The youngest child, Jackie, was valedictorian of the FHS class of 1942 and went on to serve on the FISD Board of Trustees from 1972-1978. He and wife Deanie’s (Chumley) sons, Jim and Dale, attended Frisco schools as did their children - Lauren and Whitney Newman, daughters of Jim and Drusila Wade Newman, and Clint and Connor Newman, sons of Dale and Jeri Hansel Newman. To date there are several 6th generation Newmans still living in Frisco. The Newmans were active supporters of the schools and youth and passed that sense of community and service on to their children and grandchildren. This school in Newman Village located on Newman homestead land continues the legacy of valuing education and supporting teachers and students that was so important to this pioneer family.
If your child is absent from school, please contact the campus with this form before 8:30 AM. Phone calls are a courtesy, but only an email or a written note may be accepted from parents for our attendance records.